Monday, July 14, 2008

Leviticus, or is it "Leave-it-and-cuss?"

So I may have to take a reprieve from the OT. My family and I have faithfully read from it every night, and so far there are have been some cool stories, and A WHOLE LOT of sacrificial instructions. Yesterday during the sacrament, one of my sons smooshed his bread and called it unleavened.

Last night the family gave up. They are going back to the B of M, the best book ever written. I'm tempted, too. Do you think I'll make it to the celestial kingdom if I don't read the OT? Does the reading get better? Should I just skip Leviticus and move on?

Anybody got any suggestions?

3 comments:

K P said...

You and your family are amazing! and cute! Sounds like your son has learned from your readings. :)

If it's a requirement to read the OT to make it to the celestial kingdom then I think a lot of us are in trouble. :)

Something that works for me is to read the Book of Mormon along with the family in the evening and I read the Bible for my personal study in the morning.

I say do whatever works for you and your family.

I have enjoyed reading your commentaries and what you have learned from your reading. Thanks for sharing!

Bradwich said...

I love the squishing of the bread to make it unleavened.

Leviticus is tough, as are parts of Numbers and Deuteronomy. But there are some good stories and good principles to be found in each book (at least up to Judges, where I'm at).

I can understand why the family lost interest, which is why the OT is one of my personal studies. Not finishing won't keep you out of heaven, but think how cool it will be to say that you've read through the whole Old Testament?! Not a lot of people can say they've finished the whole thing. ...Not that that's the best reason for reading, but you get my point.

Stay strong--you can do it!!

Maren said...

Thanks you guys! I think I'll try to do a "speed read" through the OT, where I just concentrate on reading it and reading it and reading it until I'm done. No other books allowed (except for the B of M at night with my family - they all voted and B of M won).

Thanks for your support!