Friday, April 18, 2008

Still Plugging Away

I know I never update this blog. However, I am still continuing my goal to read the Old Testament.

Reading this book by myself was truly not easy. And not working. So now I read the Bible every night with my family. We started at the beginning, and now we're on Genesis chapter 20-something. We just finished the part where Isaac and Rebekeh had twin boys (Esau and Jacob?) and one was a red hairy hunter who sold his birthright for some pottage from Jacob. I know Jacob was righteous and all, but don't you think that's a little conniving? Why do you think he did that? Was Esau always a pain in the neck or something and Jacob had had enough? Or did Jacob know that it wouldn't mean a lot to Esau to have the birthright anyway?

I'd like to know your thoughts (if anybody read this...)

And, I'll still update when I can. I'm not quitting!!

3 comments:

Bradwich said...

Maren--I'm proud of you that you're still working on the OT. I know I haven't been reading as diligently lately as I was earlier, either. Something about Leviticus and those priestly duties...

I apologize that this comment is going to be so stinking long, but I had a lot of the same thoughts when I was reading through Genesis. Let me share a little something with you from my study journal last May.

"Gen. 25: 29-34. Questions: Was that really a fair exchange? If it WAS fair (ie Esau's life was in danger), was it fair of Jacob to use that kind of leverage on/extort his brother? Why would Jacob act this way, or what would lead him to behave like this? I wonder if Esau just didn't really care.

"Lessons to learn: Don't sell your birthright for ANYTHING, let alone just a mess of pottage. Even if it looks more appealing in the moment. Also, don't extort other, or take advantage unfairly because of a situation."

"5/11/07 As I discussed the previous entry with Jessica, she made a really good point--these people were just men (and women). Normal people with normal emotions. So I've realized that I shouldn't hold them to perfection. They've got weaknesses, too. I wouldn't want anyone to judge ME expecting me to be perfect, so I shouldn't do that to anyone else."

So those were my thoughts at that point, and I don't know that they've changed much. Yeah, it seems to me that Jacob was a little conniving. But it seems like it was the Lord's will. But I've wondered if Esau meant what he said about dying of hunger. If it was just a figure of speech, it sounds like his own dumb fault for losing the blessing. If he really meant it, then it sounds like Joseph took unfair advantage.

It's fun to read some of these stories and see that they're not so cut and dried as we once thought them. We can learn a lot of lessons from the experiences of others.

*end novel*

Maren said...

Thank you for the comment - er, novel - Brad. Very good insight. I guess I always think that since they grew up to be prophets they should always be perfect and their decisions should always make sense to us. It's kind of tricky reading the Bible with kids, explaining what's going on and why. It's been a very good learning experience.

K P said...

I enjoy reading your blog(s) Maren! You go girl!

I wonder if that part of the Bible has been translated correctly or if some important word(s) have been left out. Someday we'll know for sure and everything will be clear.