Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Leah and Rachael

"When heaven’s promises sometimes seem afar off, I pray that each of us will embrace these exceeding great and precious promises and never let go. And just as God remembered Rachel, God will remember you." (Spencer J. Condie, Ensign Nov. 2007)

_______________________________

We just read about Jacob last night and how he had to work 14 years to marry Rachel, but instead got Leah. He worked another 14 years for Rachel. The Bible makes it sound like Rachel was the one who had it hard. After all, she wasn't able to bear children for a very long time, and couldn't marry the man she wanted for 28 years before that. I guess she did have it very hard. I always see the happy ending, how she was able to have Jacob's favorite son's who were righteous and good. But she couldn't see the happy ending from the beginning. Neither can we. I'm going to try to remember that there is a happy ending if only we endure righteously to the end.

On another note, though, I've always felt sorry for Leah. Here she had to marry a man she knew didn't love her, even though she bare him lots of sons, and she wasn't as pretty as Rachel. That would be a hard life, too. I wonder what Leah was like inside. If she was a bitter person who felt like a victim, or if she was okay with her lot in life.

Anyway, that's the latest story from the OT. (Sorry for the abrupt ending, but my lunch break is up...)

2 comments:

Bradwich said...

I always felt that if I were Jacob, I would have been extremely upset. I'm glad I knew who I was marrying. :)

Maren said...

And aren't you glad my dad didn't make you work for 7 years to get her?