Monday, February 18, 2008

Ruth

“A good example of the kinds of real circumstances good people face in this life can be found in the Old Testament in the very short, five-page book of Ruth. Would you ever have expected the small book of Ruth to foretell such a great event?” (Aileen H. Clyde)

Days to Read:1

I’ll be honest: the reason I picked Ruth as the first book was because it’s short. I didn’t realize until I read it that I confused Ruth with Esther. I thought they were one and the same.

Ruth’s story begins as her father-in-law died, followed by her husband and brother-in-law. Those three were the only males in the family. That left Ruth, her mother-in-law, and sister-in-law alone during a famine. Ruth’s mother-in-law told her daughters that they could leave and go to their own families again. Orpah, the sister-in-law, did. But Ruth answered and said “Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.” (Ruth 1:16)

I learned from Ruth that she was kind, hard working, unselfish, virtuous, loyal and probably most important, she trusted in the Lord (Ruth 2:12). She showed her mother-in-law that the Lord blesses them (Ruth 2:20). In chapter 4:15, Boaz says that because of Ruth’s love, she is “better to thee than seven sons.” Ruth and Boaz had a son named Obed, who begat Jesse, who begat David, whose line Jesus came from. I had no idea that Jesus came from Ruth’s line.

Ruth is a great example to me now. I hope I can remember her obedience, her virtue, her hard work and perseverance. I hope I can trust in the Lord as she did through famine and loneliness.

Next up: Book of Joel

No comments: